Congrats to authors Mac Barron and Laura and Franco Fanucci!
Mac’s book, “Clueless in Galilee,” and Laura and Franco’s book, “Grieving Together,” arrived in the warehouse this week.
In “Clueless in Galilee” author Mac Barron assures us that Jesus loves us, even though we’re human. We know this, because the Bible says so. Over and over and over again. With its hilarious, sometimes irreverent, and always humble reflections, this book will make you laugh and help you look at the Bible — and yourself — in a whole new way.
“Grieving Together” is the book the Fanuccis had wished for after their miscarriage. Practical resources include Scripture, prayers, and official Catholic rites. It also speaks to the unique concerns of fathers, and includes many real-life stories from couples in many different circumstances.
Here’s an update from our April enewsletter, just ICYMI, about the ability of OSV to product a quick book on a fast-breaking topic.
News happens fast, but usually, books don’t.
The publishing process is normally one of careful consideration of ideas, weeks or months of writing, more weeks or months of editing and production, printing, distribution, marketing, sales — and finally reading!
But sometimes, forces align that allow us to publish a book in about the same time-frame that it takes to put out OSV Newsweekly.
This happened recently with Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation, Gaudete et Exsultate (“Rejoice and Be Glad.”) We had received a heads-up that the document was coming, and had a cover and inside design template ready. As soon as the text was released, we were able to proofread and design the copy in a matter of days. In less than a week, it was printed in-house at OSV and available for order on our online bookstore.
And although most books take months, not a week (thank goodness!), we bring the same kind of team effort to all our projects.
You can check out our latest quick book here.
New and in stock! Congrats to first time children’s book author Meghan Bausch, whose book Saintly Rhymes for Modern Times arrived this week.
Heaven’s saints are holy,
Each in their own way.
Here you’ll find their stories to inspire you every day.
Remembering these rhymes is simple as can be.
They show how we can all be saints—
Even you and me!
From the OSV online bookstore:
Filled with colorful illustrations and catchy rhymes, Saintly Rhymes for Modern Times teaches your child that everyone is called to be a saint. These kid-friendly rhymes allow children to see the beauty of Christian holiness through the lives of our more recent saints. With these sixteen poems, nineteen holy men, women, and children will become your child’s friends in heaven!
About Meghan: She’s a writer, illustrator, and performer who resides in Brooklyn, NY with her husband, Andy. In all of her artistic endeavors, she draws inspiration from her favorite actor, writer, poet, theologian, and adopted patron, Pope St. John Paul II.
More info here.
We’re so excited about this one-of-a-kind new product! From the news release:
The first of its kind for Catholics, The Catholic Journaling Bible (Our Sunday Visitor, 2017) (NAB-RE) invites readers to encounter the Word of God like never before. Designed by the creative ministry team at Blessed Is She and published by Our Sunday Visitor, The Catholic Journaling Bible offers Catholics a beautiful space to deepen their relationship with God through Scripture.
Journaling Bibles have become increasingly popular devotionals in many Christian denominations. Now Catholics have the opportunity to draw, journal, and record personal reflections in the wide margins of The Catholic Journaling Bible. This Bible is especially suitable for Lectio Divina, the ancient Catholic practice of immersing oneself in Sacred Scripture through prayerful reading and meditation. This casebound Bible with an elegant linen cover is presented in an easy-to-read, one-column format, with wide, ruled margins for journal entries. Including gorgeous hand-lettered quotations throughout, it is ideal for gift-giving.
“Blessed Is She is thrilled to work with Our Sunday Visitor on this project,” stated Jenna Guizar, Founder and Creative Director of Blessed Is She. “We took great care in developing the beautiful hand-lettering and artwork presented in The Catholic Journaling Bible. We pray that it inspires many … to grow in their understanding of Scripture, and in their relationship with God.”
Just a quick note to say CONGRATS to these OSV authors! Now in the OSV Bookstore, on Amazon and B&N, and in bookstores everywhere:
Here’s a quick update on the latest releases, which are all available for order (or pre-order) on www.osvcatholicbookstore.com. Need to order personally? Call Jill at 800-348-2440, ext. 2547.
- Advent and Christmas with Mary, by Dr. Mary Amore
- All the Pope’s Saints: The Jesuits Who Shaped Pope Francis, by Sean Salai, S.J.
- Angels of the Lord: 365 Reflections, by Catherine O’Dell and Margaret Savitskas
- Bringing the Gospel of John to Life, by George Martin
- Casting Nets with the Saints: Learn from the Best, by Chris Stewart
- Catholic Prayers for All Occasions
- Every Day with Mary: Reflections by Affiliates of Mayslake, by Dr. Mary Amore
- Every Parent’s Battle: A Family Guide to Resisting Pornography, by Dan S. Spencer III
- Bored again Catholic: How the Mass Could Save Your Life, by Timothy P. O’Malley
- Fruitful Discipleship: Living the Mission of Jesus, by Sherry A. Weddell
- God Listens: Personal Stories of Answered Prayers, by Lorene Hanley Duquin
- God’s Guide for Grandparents, by Susan M. Erschen
- Heroes of the Catholic Reformation, by Joseph Pearce
- Jesus: The Story You Thought You Knew, by Deacon Keith Strohm
- Pope Francis Family Devotional
- Positively Medieval: The Surprising, Dynamic, Heroic Church of the Middle Ages, by Jamie Blosser
- Praying the Rosary for Spiritual Warfare, by Fr. Dwight Longenecker
- Saved: A Bible Study Guide for Catholics, by Fr. Mitch Pacwa, S.J.
- Scripture Footnotes: The World of Jesus, by George Martin
- St. Faustina Prayer Book for the Conversion of Sinners, by Susan Tassone
- Stunned by Scripture: How the Bible Made Me Catholic, by Dr. John Bergsma
- The Miracle and the Message: 100 Years of Fatima, by John C. Preiss
- The Tech Talk: Strategies for Families in a Digital World, by Michael Horne, PsyD.
- Think Right, Live Well: Daily Reflections with Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
- The Three Things Divorced Catholics Need to Know, by Mary Lou Rosien
- Tied in Knots: Finding Peace in Today’s World, by Greg Willits
- Tuned In: The Power of Pressing Pause and Listening, by Art and Laraine Bennett
- Why the Rosary, Why Now? by Gretchen R. Crowe
Congrats to OSV author and editorial director Greg Willits, whose book ‘Tied in Knots’ is the #1 new ebook release in Amazon’s Catholicism category.